Apture

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

First day of R-CHOP



I just returned from a day of receiving my R-CHOP chemo treatment. It is great to be home. All my other chemo treatments required my being in the hospital for 4-6 days. I am so thankful that I can now be home and still take my chemo. Once the day was complete, I still had to take home a portable chemo pump which will allow me to receive a very slow chemo drug over a 48 hour period. I will return on Thursday at 4:30pm to return the pump. The pump is a quiet, small device which lives in a medium sized "fanny-pack". It connects directly to my PIC line. It is a pretty easy device and I just need to remember that it goes "everywhere" I go. (it kinda looks like a PSP...I'm trying to get some games on the thing)

My Dad had one of these devices when he was going through chemo last year. I remember he would come over for dinner and have that thing in tow. He called it his "bag". He did not have to do this every week, only on special occasions when he needed some extra drug. I have to say that I did not know much about all the different drugs he was taking. He really did not keep up with them much either. I have been very different however. I know every single drug I am taking including the pre-meds. I have actually caught my chemo nurses doing things differently than what my doctor originally ordered. I think the nurses at my chemo center are very competent, but sometimes things can get messed up and it is important for patients to take ownership in their treatment and be aware of everything that is being done to them. I have tried my best to practice this.

OK, here is what it really looks like....




Take care and I will talk to you soon again!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Jeff,
My sister has nonhodgkin lymphoma, but isn't doing so well - can't keep her hemoglobin up and she's had an allergic reaction to Neulesta, that shot you take the day after chemo. Also bothered by neck pain, though no tumor appears to be there. She's been in the hospital a lot and has had two treatments of R Chop. They're going to shorten it to four treatments, not six. She has no access to internet, but I am going to print her blog for you. I think she'll find it encouraging. I am looking to get her into a support group in Lansing, MI. Bless you.
Mary Grunert

Nicole said...

Dear Mary,

I hope your sister is feeling better as I notice this blog is from March. I wonder if you can possibly help with any information on your sister's neck pain? My Mother had her 1st treatment of R Chop on 8th Sept. 3 days later she was in absolute agony with neck pain. She has an existing neck condition and had major spinal surgery 2 1/2 years ago, sadly the pain continued so she has been in extreme pain for 8 years now. However, I am convinced the chemo has made this worse, she is in agony to the point of being sick and is refusing to have another treatment because she just can't face it. I am frantically looking for any references to severe neck pain associated with R Chop and came across your blog that mentioned neck pain. How severe was your sister's neck pain and did anyone get to the bottom of why she suffered it and was it linked to any of the individual R Chop chemicals? The oncologist she is under doesn't accept this dramaic change has anything to do with the chemo and asked her if she'd been lifting anything heavy! I'd be so grateful if you have any details.

Kindest regards,

Nicole

Anonymous said...

I have to say, every time I come to your blog there is another interesting post to read. I
know chiropractic care for Suwanee, GA residents since 1996. The best chiropractic treatment