Apture

Saturday, February 2, 2008

More blood

I had been unable to fully recover this past week from my chemo without an additional 2 units of blood. I have been told that as chemo treatments continue, your body will take longer to recover. I have seen that happen this week. My HGB and RBC counts stayed really low all week and it was only after 4 units of blood and a unit of platelets, did I finally feel better today.

So, a recap....we had a bit of a scare yesterday as I had trouble getting my breath. With HGB at 7.7 and RBC at 2.45, very little oxygen was able to fuel my body when doing any kind of walking or moving around. I got very winded on Friday afternoon and was unable to really recover. We decided to go to the emergency room at Plaza Medical center which was near the building I was planning on getting my 2 additional units of blood. After I was given some oxygen, I was evaluated as stabilized and no apparent heart issues were present. They wanted to watch me over night and also give me the 2 units of blood through the evening.

I awoke this morning feeling much better and was able to go home this morning. My counts are back up to acceptable levels (HGB 9.0 and RBC 3.0) and I feel a ton better as a result.

We will still keep my meetings at MD Anderson next week so we can get my restaging accomplished as planned. Therefore, we will be in Houston, Tuesday - Thursday for these meetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,
Sorry for the latest setback. Keep drinking that blood and taking it easy. We missed you Friday at breakfast but we'll save your seat when you get back.