Apture

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

New Study on NHL...


This is a picture of a Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma cell (pink) being attacked by the chemo drug "Rituxan". I took this chemo drug 6 times over 4 months and was a big reason for my remission. The picture was taken from a recent article in Scientific American which discusses the recent study confirming the increase in patients living longer using these drugs. This drug is made by Genentech and has been used since 1997. I am hopeful that I will be one of the "long lifers". It also mentions that 20 in 100,000 will get NHL. That is incredible odds against most people getting NHL. I think it is 1 in 5,000 or 2 in 10,000 or 8 in 40, 000. How many of you have been to a Ranger's baseball game? That means that 8 people in the entirely full stadium would get NHL. That seems like pretty good odds for most people. So, the next time you are at the Ballpark...look around and see if you can find the 8 people. And, for people under age 45 who are using Rituxan, 56% of the 8 will live 10 years or longer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff-
Of course our prayer is that you are one of the "long lifers". I do want you to know that you are providing "life" and "Hope" to all of us that love you so much! Through your experience you have changed our lives. You truly are an inspiration! I am so glad to hear that you have completed chemo.

By the way...I don't remember the last time 40,000 fans went to a Rangers game...1996 maybe...?

I love you Jeff!

Peace,
Bruce

Diane J Standiford said...

I highlighted your blog today!
Great photos! (I bet the dog is over ten.)

Anonymous said...

God bless you. HHJoy

Anonymous said...

jeff, we couldn't be happier to read about your progress as of march 11! your name remains the only area on our bath mirror uncleaned. you give going to an Astros game a new perspective. maybe you should be a writer. you are good at it. our prayers will continue. love, joan

Anonymous said...

A swift recovery and peace to your family, God Bless, Dave

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you and look expectently to God for progress...The Bates