Apture

Sunday, January 6, 2008

2 pints please...

After feeling great on Friday morning, I went downhill in the afternoon. I typically get lab work done on Friday afternoons and this Friday was no different. The results showed my Red cells very low. This is why I have been so short of breath. Your RBCs carry oxygen to your body so you can function. When you have few RBCs, you body struggles to keep the oxygen supply up to stuff. Well, it got the best of me and while I was in the clinic, I had a fainting spell and almost passed out.

As a result, they decided I needed 2 units of blood to boost my system. I went into the Plaza center on Saturday morning and got 2 units of O negative blood. It is amazing to me how this can work. Several hours later, I was feeling much better.

Today, I have way more energy and can tell a big difference. There is power in the blood!

I am hopeful that this week my counts will rebound quickly and I can get back to some normal activity. I am still in an "at risk" stage for infection, but that should subside as my counts rebound.

Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement this past week.

1 comment:

Louanne said...

Jeff - I am glad that the transfusion helped. And you will probably be like me the rest of your life - grateful to all the blood donors of the world because it saves lives...it certainly did mine many years ago.

Louanne