Apture

Monday, November 19, 2007

Sunday - Chemo Day 5

Sunday was the 5th day of straight chemo during this round. I have started a new drug called Adriamycin (Doxorubicin). It is givin in a 24 hour drip twice in a row. That means it will last Days 5 & 6. It has a distintive "orange" color, which is weird because all the other drugs are clear. I have not had any side effects from this so far. One of the main problems with this drug is that it can decrease your heart function, so they monitor my heart and blood pressure often. Before you can even do this chemo drug, they do a cardiac heart test to see how strong your heart is. I did this test last week and my heart checked out strong and able to handle this treatment.


The other big even on Sunday was Sandra passed the "CVC dressing change" test for my PICC line. Way to go Sandra! She had to take 2 classes to learn how to change the dressing weekly while we are home. It is a very detailed process which is designed to prevent any possible infection throughout the 6 months. I think Sandra may be deciding on a new nursing career! (what do you think?)


My only other physical issue right now is just that I am really tired. I don't think it is from the chemo, but rather from the lack of sleep in the hospital. Seems ironic...you are suppose to get rest in a hospital...but it does not happen! I don't think I have had more than about 5 hours per night of sleep since last Wed. The nurses all say this is pretty normal. Once I get home, I can get back to a normal sleep routine and catch up. We are still anticipating leaving for home on Tuesday late afternoon.


I am looking forward to getting home and seeing Daniel. My mom has been staying with Daniel (in Fort Worth) while we are away so he can stay in school which has been great. We have had such great support from here and also the Scott and Jana Clark family (lives next door) who also attend Daniel's school (Covenant Classical School) and have supported us so much the past several weeks. Thanks!


This Sunday was yet another Sunday away from my normal routine. We have not been to our church in Fort Worth now for over 4 weeks. We have had such great support from them through this so far and I miss worshiping with them and look forward to getting back. One of the verses that has been on my mind a lot during this process has been Philipians 4:4-7 .

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Peace about everything is what I tend to misplace in all this. There is so much out of my control in this process that I have a tendency to get anxious about everything. I want to organize and prioritize and schedule and plan out all the risks ("risk" is something I talk to customers all the time about in my job...), and sometimes, all that is not possible. You have to learn to take one day at a time and deal with what comes. The main thing I have been worrying about is the risk of infection that comes with this chemo. Usually on days 7-10 after chemo my immune system is very weak and I have basically no defenses to fight any infections. I am learning to take to heart Phil 4:4-7 in dealing with this anxiety.


I know this is a long blog entry...but I can't miss putting in a prop for the Cowboys game Sunday (Dallas 28, Washington 23). It was a wild game and one that Dallas could have lost as Washington was playing well in the end. I will enjoy watching the game on Thanksgiving from home!


Take care friends! Thanks for tuning in and spending a few mintues of your day with me.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I'm so glad you will be home for the Thanksgiving holiday! Hopefully you can catch up on sleep and enjoy some "non-hospital" family time. My entire family's thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep up the good spirits!

Cheers,
Barrie

Mark Stapleton said...

Jeff,

Ditto Barrie! How wonderful that you will be home for the holiday. You, Sandra and Daniel remain in our prayers. Keep up the good attitude as attitude is everything. We are thankful for you!

Anonymous said...

WHAT! All you can do it tell us "hey Cowboys game was good"??? What about YOUR fighting red raiders of ttech taking the hated ou sooner to their collective knees and paving the way for the beloved Texas Longhorns to have a possible Big 12 Championship game in their near future! C'mon please tell me you saw that game Saturday night...what a great game by Leach and the Raiders!

So glad you're doing well...we're missing you for Friday morning breakfasts!

cseth

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff -
Regarding the heart test for your orange drugs...We already knew that you had a strong heart! And to be blogging away after 5 straight days of chemo -- you're an iron man! Keep it going!
The thoughts and prayers of the Sullivan family are with you.
-Sean S.

Anonymous said...

Jeff i am so impressed with your site - i am going to keep it really quiet as i do not want the DSG guys to steal you away. Glad that you will be able to go home soon - sleep will be beautiful in your own bed. Keep up the strong spirits. Susan X

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Great news that you will be headed home for the holiday! My thoughts and praryers are with you. Stay strong. Mike B

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
We're praying for an easy departure from your "city-home" here in Houston and a warm welcome back to your "country-home" in FW. I forwarded your blog site to Jeff and Suzanne Farrell...didn't know if they were in the loop. He turns 40 next month! Love to you, Sandra and Daniel,
Leannah and Rick and the kiddos (and the dog)

Louanne said...

Jeff and Sandra - so glad that things are going so well and that you get to come home tomorrow. I think you will definately sleep better in your own home.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Louanne, Mike and Nadia