Apture

Friday, December 21, 2007

In the Hospital again...

Some blood cultures drawn on Tuesday identified a growing bacterial infection in my blood. It is not a serious infection at this point, but my doctor felt it important to get some IV antibiotics going quickly to stop the infection from getting serious. Since I was in Houston for some tests, I was checked into MD Anderson and will most likely be here through Sunday (Dec 23rd).

This all started on Tuesday when I started running a fever of 100.5 - 101. I went to my Dr. in Fort Worth Tuesday afternoon and he ordered some blood tests to be drawn. On Wed morning, we drove to Houston to begin several hours of tests for my restaging. These tests included a PET scan, CT scan, Chest X-Ray and Blood labs. I felt really bad most of the day, but was able to complete all tests succesfull. Then, on Thursday, the Dr. called and indicated my bacterial infection and instructed me to check-in at the MD Anderson Emergency Center. I was checked in and started IV antibiotics that evening.

The doctors do not know the source of the infection and are trying to determine the type and how to treat. They say it takes up to 2 weeks for these to heal and I don't know yet how this will impact my chemo schedule next week. I think they will be delayed.

I will keep everyone posted on any new news. Thanks again for all your prayers and encouragement. I am trying to stay positive. Sandra and Daniel are here with me. Daniel is staying with some good friends (Thurmans) and Sandra is spending most of her time with me in the hospital.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff we are so sorry about the infection. I know how hard it is to have to deal with them. Our Love is with you all.
We are home now hopefully with this infection behind us and the healing beginning.
You will be soon. Hugs!!

Louanne said...

Jeff - sorry to hear about the infection and we will keep you guys in our prayers.

Louanne, Mike and Nadia

Jennifer said...

Jeff,

Jennifer and I have been thinking about you and will continue to pray for you and your family.

John, Jenn, Titus, & Abraham

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Jeff, You are in our prayers! We love you, and we are praying that you will be healed and home by Christmas.