Apture

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Low WBC

It has been several days since my last post and several people have been asking me about my status. I must confess that I have not felt like doing anything lately. I have had a cold all week, which really is not that serious, but just makes me feel run-down. Then, on Friday, my white blood cell count dropped to 0.6 (normal is 8-12). This means I am very susceptible to any infection or virus. I am taking daily medicines which are designed to boost the production of WBCs, but it generally takes several days. I am projecting that by Monday I will be back up over 4 which is a safe range. So far, I have not had much of a fever. I DON'T want to have another Thanksgiving late-night emergency run.

Our current schedule is Wed - Fri (Dec. 19-21) this next week we will drive to Houston to run tests to do a "re-staging". This will determine how effective the chemo has been and what stage my cancer is in at this point in time. Based on these results, my chemo protocol might change. We are really praying that the chemo so far has been very effective and that the doctors will provide a positive report on Friday.

We will then return to Fort Worth on Friday (Dec. 21) to get ready for Christmas. I then will start cycle 3 chemo on Wed, Dec. 26th here in Houston. This round will be the same 7 day hospital protocol as cycle 1. This time, I will be doing it in Fort Worth, so it will be easier on the family.

Take care...

2 comments:

Louanne said...

Thanks for the update Jeff. We will be praying for those numbers to go UP UP UP!

Louanne, Mike and Nadia

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeffy,
Hope you WBC is soaring up there...at least that it gets high enough so you feel better and can be around people. When you're feeling better let me know and I'll come over for some Wii Challenge...I'm going to beat Daniel one of these days!

Seth